Medical & Hospitalisation insurance is considered a must in this modern day where the medical and hospital bills can really cost a bomb! I do not have any and is planning to get one. Problem is, I don't know which one is good. Eg. There are some who needs you to pay first and only reimburse your expenses later. Some takes a long time to process your claims. What I want is where you don't have to pay anything, the insurance co will cover it.

A few years ago, Hong Leong Assurance offers an insurance package specially for ladies whre it will cover the maternity expenses (e.g. C section, maternity check ups..) and also it will cover the newborn baby as well against birth defects like cleft lips, hole in the heart, etc.

I don't feel like calling any insurance agent before I get more info as I don't want the agent to keep stalking me. Hope you all can give some input here.

Thanks

Dear Fluene,

i get myself simple one, Life & 36 critical illness & permenant disability & come wif hospitalisation. from prudential.

insurance, i think is a must. esp what i had been thru. but then, try to get those FULL time, experienced, trusted agent.

coz ar... ai, my case really very teruk. pass my file around. no one entertain me when i really need their help.

fluene,

i hav been working in the claims department in a insurance company. for every medical card, ther are certain illness not covered for the 1st year....must see the policy.

then about the pay for the medical expenses, it oso depend to the condition. sum very small illness the insurance company will straight away pay for u, except those not medicine not related ( they can ask the break out fr the hospital n got professional to determine it) or sum item not covered like TV services for the room....

but for those very critical illness tat they suspect u adi hav it b4 u sign up the policy, they will ask u to pay 1st n they will process the claims later after the investigation...

sum investigation take long time, tats y the client long time hvnt get the $$.

sum client never report any illness or operation they hav been b4 signing the policy, so when hav sumthing admitted to hospital, n found out thsi ppl hav this operation or iilness b4....they oso will hold it n do investigation.

so i think u should find a fren whose is agent...n u can trust on!!

sum agent not actually explain the terms n condition of the policy to the buyer, like wat illness not covered in the 1st or 3 year, n sum extra service for the hospital admission....ends up the customer unsuccess to make claims will saying tat the insurance "tipu orang"

hope tat all these infomation can help u!

Ling & Mickey Mouse, thanks for your info.

I understand about some illness and diseases not covered in the 1st year and those not covered at all. What I mean is, hospitals require deposits and some medical cards don't offer this. They need you to pay the deposit on your own and then claim later. For example, my hubby broke his ankle few years back. He was admitted to hospital. He had to pay everything : deposit, medical fees, post hospitalization check up, etc by himself and can only claim after he got his official receipts. Is there any medical card that once we show it to the hospital, they will straight away contact the insurance co and not bother us (the patients) anymore?

Mickey Mouse, what happened to you before?

Ling & Mickey Mouse, thanks for your info.

I understand about some illness and diseases not covered in the 1st year and those not covered at all. What I mean is, hospitals require deposits and some medical cards don't offer this. They need you to pay the deposit on your own and then claim later. For example, my hubby broke his ankle few years back. He was admitted to hospital. He had to pay everything : deposit, medical fees, post hospitalization check up, etc by himself and can only claim after he got his official receipts. Is there any medical card that once we show it to the hospital, they will straight away contact the insurance co and not bother us (the patients) anymore?

Mickey Mouse, what happened to you before?

Dear Fluene

I bought Prulink assurance and from what I understand, if I were to be admitted to the panel hospitals, then all i need to do is to flash my medical card and they will settle the bills with the insurance coy. If I choose a medical centre not on their list, I will have to pay first, then claim later.

I can go home and check out the T&C later.

fluene,

i think mayb like bumblebee said ech card hav sum panel hospital ...im not sure about it oso ...will ask my fren, i hav a few fren as the agent....

after i get the info let u know on mon ok!! bcox i wont online at home on weekend...hehe! :)

Dear all,

To be frank I'm a full time insurance agent! Well I know how u all feel when come to insurance agent! I think 2day medical insurance is a must for each n every individual especially those with a lot of commitment! Just to share with u, some of the medical card will require the client to pay first and some will settle everything and u only have to pay a small amount of $ when discharge.

This small amount is for the uncovered charges such as medication, hospital service charge, hospital admin fees, etc. The deposit is usually required by the hospital it self not the insurance company, to secure ur admission. I've come across hospital which charge as low as RM50 and as high as thousand. After deducting these charges, they will refund the balance to you.

And for my company, client only need to pay for the deposit (refundable) as for pre & post hospitalisation will be reimburse to client.

Please ask carefully on the terms n condition, when the coverage will start and under what circumstances they will cover all! Good Luck

Thanks Honey So far I think the best is either ING or Great Eastern. Those reimbursement is a bit difficult. What if I don't have that much money to pay the hospital? If want for the reimbursement, might take a long time.

usually, reimbursement is for the pre & post hospitalisation. and its just the consultation fees and follow up fees which i think will not cost much. Coz have done a few cases which the client pay not more than Rm500. All small amount.

Once the hospitalisation part is guaranteed by the insurance company, the pre & post will be no big problem and it only takes fatest 2 weeks & latest 1mth depends on the documents being submit in order n how fast the agent do it 4 u!

usually, reimbursement is for the pre & post hospitalisation. and its just the consultation fees and follow up fees which i think will not cost much. Coz have done a few cases which the client pay not more than Rm500. All small amount.

Once the hospitalisation part is guaranteed by the insurance company, the pre & post will be no big problem and it only takes fatest 2 weeks & latest 1mth depends on the documents being submit in order n how fast the agent do it 4 u!

Fluene, to help you understand better ,

Most on the companies go on cashless cards now.

BUT , there are situations when it doesn't work that way, meaning you cannot go cashless. Example,

1. If its an emergency accidental out-patient treatment ( due to an accident you go there for wound cleaning, stiches, and not hospitalized, then you have to pay and later file a claim.)

2. If you choose to go to a government hospital or a non panel hospital (then you cant go cashless, pay and file claim)

3. Pre & post hospitalization bills ( like visiting a private practitioner before admitting to hospital, or after you're discharged, follow up treatment, pay and file claim )

4. On the rare occasions, when the hospital is unable to diagnose what is your medical condition & whether your condition (sickness) is covered by your policy then you might have to pay first and file claim.

5. Even though you are holding a cashless card, the hospital might still want you to put in a small deposit (maybe between Rm 200-300 ) to cover for bills that are not claimable under your policy. ( TV, telephone bills, etc) However, this amount will be refunded to you if you have not utilized it upon discharge.

6. Be aware that there are exclusions to the H&S policy. Meaning that you will not be covered for the following conditions.(Example, waiting period of 30 days, a list of specified illnessess that will not be covered during the first 120 days, pre-existing conditions/illnessess are not covered at all & if you are hospitalized only for diagnostic purposes, congenital defects & cosmetic surgeries)

* All the insurance companies who are offering this cashless system will follow the above guidelines. If yours is a clear cut case, then it is very simple and you can just use the card (besides the small deposit that you might be asked to put in first) otherwise you might be asked to pay and file claim.

Your hubby's situation, he had to pay for his medical expenses first maybe because (a) his wasn't a cashless card OR (B) he did not go to the panel hospital

The one Hong Leong offered you is called Ladies Special which is also available from other insurance companies, Great Eastern, AIA, etc. But it is normally attached to a life or critical illness policy.

Its important to have both the Hospitalization & Surgical program together with the Critical Illness for a start.

For all purposes, get a good agent who acts fast, knowledgeable & is trustworthy.

I talked to Prudential agent today. He told me that the prudential medicals policy doesn't stand alone. I have to get a general policy to add in the medical. All in, I think the investment link is very attractive but I'm not sure whether I need all these as my concern now is the medicals.

Simonne, I think yours is almost the same as the prudential. Mind telling me a bit about your policy and its benefits?

fluene,

i think most of the agent will advice us to take the medical card as a rider attached to a life insurance either traditional plan or investment link. bcox wat my agent tell me is if v buy the medical card which stand a lone, its more expensive, hav to renew every year n no saving.

i bought GE, Investment link, life+accident+medical card+疾病免付

i didnt add the 36 illness bcox i oledi got it in the HLA Ladies Special

fluene,

last time when i bought it, i heard my cousin said ( my cousin is the agent) very soon the Ladies special wont attached with the 36 illness, either hav to pay the increasing premium for every year (premium increasing with the age) or hav to add sum amount to add in the 36 illness.

the basic policy still available but im not sure now got the 36 illness together with it or not...

I bought ING's easy woman plan. From what i remember it covers women illness, can also claim (forgot the %) if there is any complication during giving birth or baby or mum got problem. Cant remember what other advantages anymore.

They will use the premium i paid for investment and i can get dividend but so far havent receive any yet.

And i add medical card to this plan as well.

Hi erinepink,

If I'm not mistaken, for the lady plan under any insurance company (Prudential, GE or etc), can claim if giving birth, so remember to call you agent if you giving birth, at least the money can use to buy more "bou pan"....hehe.

Your plan should be a "Investment" plan, is not dividen, is "unit you hold". Every year, the insurance will send you the annual statement, then you can see how much of "units" you are holding. You have to know which "fund" you are buying.

Hi erinepink,

If I'm not mistaken, for the lady plan under any insurance company (Prudential, GE or etc), can claim if giving birth, so remember to call you agent if you giving birth, at least the money can use to buy more "bou pan"....hehe.

Your plan should be a "Investment" plan, is not dividen, is "unit you hold". Every year, the insurance will send you the annual statement, then you can see how much of "units" you are holding. You have to know which "fund" you are buying.

Hi i've my policy in front of me now. From what i see, i have:-

ING Prime Life Insurance - this is a regular premium Unit-linked life insurance policy which provides both protection and investment returns throughout the term of Policy. Part or all of the regular premiums paid under this Policy are used to purchase units in the Company's Unit-linked Funds in accordance with the prescribed rates as stated in the Policy Information Statement. The maturity date is year 2081 and i will be 100 yrs old by then if i am still alive.

UL - Accelerated Critical Illness Rider - If while this Rider and the Policy are in force and the Life Insured is diagnosed to have suffered from any one of the Critical Illnesses or actual undergoing of Surgery except Angioplasty and Other Invasive Treatment of Coronary Artery Disease as defined in Section A of the Definition of Critical Illness and Disability Provisions, the Company shall pay the amount of benefit covered under this Pider as specified in the Policy Information Statement or any endorsement to the Policy. Payment of a claim under this Critical Illness Rider shall reduce the Sum Insured of the Death Benefit of the Policy by the same amount. The maturity date is year 2081 too.

UL Female Care Plus Rider - If while this Rider and the Policy are in force and the Life Insured is diagnosed to have suffered from any one of the following categories of loss/event whichever is the earlier, the Company shall pay the claim according to the coverage selected as specified in the Policy Information Statement or in any endorsement to the Policy, subject to limitation applicable.

- Female Illnesses Benefits --> Female cancer, Surgery due to accident, etc.

- Maternity Benefits --> no word about can claim or not during giving birth time.

The maturity date is year 2051 and i will be 70 yrs old by then.

UL-Total & Permanent Disability Clause - If while this Policy and this Clause are in force, the Life Insured becomes Totally and Permanently Disabled before the Policy Anniversary nearest to the 65th birthday, the Company, upon receipt and acceptance of satisfactory proof of such Disability subject to the limitations of coverage stated below, shall pay in one lump sum the Amount of Benefit covered under this Clause as specified in the Policy Information Statement of or in any endorsement to the Policy. The Disability Benefit paid under this Clause shall reduce the Sum Insured of Death Benefit of the Policy by the same amount. The maturity date is year 2046 and i will be 65 yrs old by then.

Suevian, yeah you are right, no wonder i never receive any dividen :lol:

And one more thing, according to what my agent told me, the younger you are the lower the premium will be.

I bought HLA's before but stopped in the 3rd yrs because i found ING's better. No offend to HLA ok. My HLA policy required me to pay first then claim after that.

Got to go, share more when i'm back.