meiteoh

Culinary Creations: Sweet stuffs!

juicehoney, my friend PS there.... saw her pics... okay... so hopefully everything goes smooth loh... add tartar is to make it more white? I hav tartar but never used.... i still hav chiffon cake mix in my cabinet... but d recipe say beat chiffon mix+egg+water till stiff.... possible meh? I only heard of beat egg white+sugar till stiff..... any idea? Then there's definitely sumthing wrong with ur egg white (have traces of egg yolk?) or bowl got oil... Haha... i can imagine coco giving u a weird expression.... haha...

Bunny,

yaya .. I'm in Kuching ba, so I imported 2 photograhers from KL lo :P

ahh .. you are not from KL??

Superstar always have promotion in Sabah and Sarawak, kind of 'sien' to see them around, just this year, they are here (Kuching) for more than 2 times.

Mei,

Blueberry ice cream ah .. yum yum .. ahh wanna see your recipe is it the same as mine :P

but now I'm having line problem, hard to access :(

Bunny : I've made it! Finally i've tried ur recipe last nite!! I clean the bowl and whisk and wipe with tisu again and again cos I MUST SUCCESS this time :lol: !Beat beside hb,he bising bisng said use "Yam Lik" la,no need so hard one.. i ask him try la he kacau kacau like tat, i said beat la not stir! He tried and laugh laugh laugh saying :"Walau! more tiring than i wash the car" hahahahaha :D Finally beat 10mins and sucess! :P

PICT7674.jpg

This is rite after fr Owen after 35 mins baked with 170 Deg... Bunny, is tat urs as brown as mine? I read fr book said the crack is bcos of too high temp.Last time i baked chiffon with 180-190, cracked alot!So this at least proven to me, temp shud not tat high. And i turn it upside down to let it cool down so tat it wont sinked :P Did u do the same?I cut it after 30mins, u ?Cannot cut while still hot rite?Then oni i notice u dun use baking powder at all, y can raise ah?Mine bcos im using Self-raising flour ler...

PICT7676.jpg

Cut till abit ugly cos im too gan jeong to see, cut too rough!Hehehehe :P

PICT7678.jpg

I duno wat to add except found this chocholate chips in the drawer,so it bcome like this lor... :)

PICT7679.jpg

Luckily they din sinked to the bottom as BG mentioned b4 , but they melted... :P

Anyway abt the taste hor, Bunny, dun u feel cant taste like a cake beside sweet oni? i duno.. everything was fine, oni the taste .. hmm.. I wonder can it be improve.Hey, im interested abt the lemon one, wat u've added? I cant think any bcos it shud not be the juice cos this recipe not required water/juice rite?Pls adv.. TQ :)

BG, wah... import PG ah... sure very expensiv, hav to pay for their hotel n flight tickets right.... actually we plan to go KL holiday a week ma... then suddenly they hav roadshow here(1st time i saw them)... then FH said sign up loh... no need search-search again for BS when reach kl, later too rush... so we signed up lo...

meiteoh, wowww.... ur ice-cream looks soo yummy la... can feel there's a lot of blueberries... the colour so nice and appetising, definitely a great treat for a hot day!

juicehoney, first of all, congrats to you ah, finally beat the egg whites to become stiff peaks :) Yeah... the texture is quite light, like sweetened bread... maybe cos there's no oil/butter/margarine/milk... all d ingredients r simple... that's why when i made the cakes, i reduced sugar a bit... and put MORE fruits like raisins or sharp cheddar cheese to enhance the taste.. i think the recipe is meant to be like this.... if you prefer more moist n cake-like texture, i think BG's butter cake recipe will be a lot nicer. Me+FH on diet... can only spoil ourselves with lighter version of cakes, hehe.... wud love to try BG's real cake recipe... but i try to tahan till after PS :P For the flour, i use 2 tablesppon of corn flour + enough all purpose flour to form = 1 cup of flour. Cos i didn't have cake flour in my cabinet. The cake rise definitely because of the egg whites? Cos there's no other raising agent in my recipe. If you use choco chips ah, i will suggest you add 2 tablespoon of cocoa powder, then ur cake will be more chocola-ty~

Bunny,

ahh .. ic ic :P .. ya, pay their airtickets, stays, foods, accomodation :)

well .. arranging the shooting places is headache, I'm now doing the final list, hopefully it looks good la. We cut down a lot of places, takut not enough time for that.

BG: Ya, damn simple step and very less ingredient.. I printed the recipe and oni read while i wana bake ma, see see oni egg, sugar, flour.. asking ei, y no oil/butter geh, y not milk/water geh, no baking powder ! this is the one make me shock more! I wonder it can raise if im not using self-raising flour( my other flour habis stok ma).Huh. i tot raisin is lighter? Like marble pulak ah? hahaha, i neva think of till u've said it :P yahor..

Mei: How to choose nice blurberry to buy ah, i've bot once fr tesco, oredy pack inside a transparent box one.. Is it shud be soft/lembik one?and taste sweet?Hb said if juz eat like this very geli!I shud have make cake/bread with them : :(

Bunny: Thanks, thanks to ur recipe lor.. Then i knw i can still bake w/o my cheap mixer lor.. happy !! :D maybe my egg is slightly small so it bcome sweet a bit especially this morning one(cool one). But i dun like the texture of butter cake, not tat soft wor..(actually i got the recipe but din try) I still like it bcos not oily like the chiffon cake ma.. Maybe its true like wat u said, shud have mix with more thing.. Huh? Y u mix with corn flour ah, i neva knw lor..Learn something new again ...I purposely dun put cocoa powder bcos i wana see how the "original" look like ma kekeke :) Next time la

U still neva tell is tat urs is as brown as mine (the surface) and the lemon cake recipe pls. i love lemon flavour ma.. Thanks ya :)

P/s: I brought to let me coliqs test, they said juz nice,not too sweet, like Bahulu cake pulak (Gai Dan Kou) Happy !!! :D

Stan,

Chiffon memang not using butter ma, cooking oil is option but I will put a bit of olive oil. chiffon cake recipe is simple and easy (once you master it :P) to make. Ahh .. I never add water bo, nid water ah??

you don't find your NEW chiffon cake like marble cake ah?? :P

ok .. continue marking!!

Girls,

Meaning I don't need a mixer to bake a cake is it? Am going to get some baking supplies later on and I don't think my budget allows me to get a mixer so just a whisk would do?

Alesia, a whisk is just fine. I've been using a whisk prior to my mum sending over the mixer. It just takes more work, that's all. I actually think that bakers who use simple tools are the little masters because it requires more refined techniques and plenty of patience/effort. :)

Ling, I only used whipped cream, sugar and blueberries. Am thinking of trying a custard base (egg + milk) next time. :)

Juice, that's one lovely chiffon cake - a bit brown though but don't mind me - I try to give my cakes a lighter tone (my HB likes them dark though) when baking. As for how to choose blueberries, yes, it should be sweet and soft. Here, fruits are never eaten hard because that means it's not ripe. Most people don't eat these berries just like that - they take it with yoghurt or ice cream OR make it into jams and cakes as well as other stuff.

Bunny & Elaine, yup, I love the colour as well! It's my favourite berry...the recipe is enough for 4-6 serving but HB and I eat like only four teaspoons (me) or tablespoons (him) of it at any one time so it'll last quite a while for us.

Alesia: ya, no need machine oso can.. But me i force to one la, since my mixer is under repairing liow. If with machine i think few mins to beat, with hand need 8-10 mins. so still brearable la.. ( i feel the hand is tired for 30mins, maybe shud treat it as gud exercise ) :P

Mei: Wow, sifu like u oso said my cake is lovely, then im happy! :lol: Wana make one to my family to taste over the weekend :) Kk, next time i will try ur ice cream recipe.. Thanks

juicehoney, first time i made d cake, i followed d original recipe with more sugar, it was too sweet for me... so i reduced d sugar, and added more things to d cake since d flavour a bit plain. Cheddar cheese was very nice, u should try. For the lemon cake, i just use the juice from 1 lemon to add to the batter, and i grated the lemon rind n mix to the batter also,..look nicer when the cake is cut, hehe... but i think also make d cake smell nicer. I learn from a book... if you dun hav cake flour, can substitute with 2 tablespoon cornflour + enough sifted all purpose flour = total 1 cup of flour. Oh, mine is less brown than urs...cos i will monitor d cake... if become brown, i will use aluminium foil to cover the top.... so it brown less.... cos i prefer less-brown cakes :P Happy experimenting with d recipe... since u can do a lot of modifications... but dun get too addicted like me la... haha.... :P

mummyally, no mixer also can make d chiffon cake.... just use normal whisk.... can giv ur hand+arm very good exercise... im sure my arm toned a bit after making d 4 chiffon cakes :P

meiteoh, i love blueberries.... but too bad the stores here dont sell them, even hard for me to find strawberries... *sigh* can't try ur ice-cream recipe at d moment..

I forgot to update this thread with a pic of the strawberry-rhubard tart I made when my mum came...

2624995351_551cd518d7_o.jpg

Recipe is the same for a rhubard tart except use half the quantity for rhubard and the other half for strawberries.

Bunny, the recipe can be used for any fruit - why don't you try it with mango or other local fruits? According to the book, whipped cream base is good for fruits because you can still maintain the taste of the fruit compared to custard (egg + milk) or double cream base. HB has just asked for a strawberry/raspberry ice cream but I'm planning to try out some rhubard-ginger as well.

meiteoh,

Ur strawberry rhubard tart looks heavenly. You're always cooking something very different... and seems very complicated than what most of us are cooking. Really salute you. How did you learn so many types of cooking? And it's like everything you cook, they look flawless and so perfect!

p/s: Any of you gurls know how to make the dessert called 'mak zuk'? I think it's bubur gandum in malay. If anyone knows, pls share recipe okay...

BA, I tried making mak zuk when I was in KL. It wasn't thick enough like how I got it so maybe my recipe that time salah. Here's another one that I have - didn't try this one out...yet.

Gandum (Sweet Wheat Porridge)

200gm wheat pearls (gandum)

1 litre water

2 pandan leaves, knotted

200ml thick coconut milk (from 1 grated coconut)

150g sugar (or 200gm palm sugar)

1/4 tsp salt

1. Wash wheat pearls in several changes of water until water runs clear. Soak for 30 minutes.

2. In a pot, bring the water and pandan leaves to a boil. Add the wheat pearls and allow to boil for five minutes before lowering the heat to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the wheat pearls are soft.

3. Add the thick coconut milk, sugar and salt and bring to a quick boil. For a thicker broth, stir in 2 tsp tapioca or cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water together with the coconut milk. Serve warm in bowls.

I actually get my recipes and all either from books (I have recipe books in French and English for European, Japanese, American, Morrocan, Indian and etc) or online. There are pretty good food blogs out there. The fact that HB likes all sorts of food and can cook helps as well. Nah, first time usually not perfect - there is always room for improvement. It's just that looks can be deceiving. :lol:

mei, thank you so much for the makzuk recipe!! I'm gonna try it out this weekend... i just need to get the wheat pearls from the chinese med&herbs store.... before you gave me the recipe, i thought makzuk were made from quick cooking oats + barley... haha...

mei, love the colour of your ice-cream! I've always wanted to invest in an ice-cream machine, not sure if it's worth it or not :blink:

I got adventurous this time and came up with two different types of ice cream. The only difference? I used low fat whipping cream and added 1/2 lime to each batch. Right now, I'm super in love with the strawberry one!

2637200022_7e35f458b8_o.jpg