gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

I recently got a pack of brewer's yeast and wheat germ. Been giving my girl for a week. i sprinkle a teaspoon on her porridge. The organic shop sales person says both are good..packed with vits and etc.. so far, my daughter seems ok with the porridge.

about the thermos, i just got myself a 4 tier food jar for rm140, if i'm not mistaken. there was a 20% discount at jusco. seems quite good. it comes with a stainless steel spoon. was actually deliberating whether to get la gourmet or thermos...but thermos is bigger and somehow i like the brand more.. my thermos food jar looks something like this but it has 4 containers.

about avacado, i know we dont need to steam it. just scoop with a spoon and feed...but at what age..I'm not very sure la..

I recently got a pack of brewer's yeast and wheat germ. Been giving my girl for a week. i sprinkle a teaspoon on her porridge. The organic shop sales person says both are good..packed with vits and etc.. so far, my daughter seems ok with the porridge.

about the thermos, i just got myself a 4 tier food jar for rm140, if i'm not mistaken. there was a 20% discount at jusco. seems quite good. it comes with a stainless steel spoon. was actually deliberating whether to get la gourmet or thermos...but thermos is bigger and somehow i like the brand more.. my thermos food jar looks something like this but it has 4 containers.

about avacado, i know we dont need to steam it. just scoop with a spoon and feed...but at what age..I'm not very sure la..

is it needed to blend the wheatgerm with the porridge?

Quick question ... I only give half of avocado to my baby, can I freeze the other half like how we freeze fuits/vege puree??

J & S, i tried freezing the other half .. but, it turned brownish & texture not so nice ... read somewhere that you can squeeze lemon juice on it before freezing to prevent this .. but afraid acidic for bb

so, normally, i will give the other half the next day ..... store in fridge together with the seed intact (wrap with plastic cling wrap)

ya, i read that too but same concern bout the lemon. Babysitter dun really like the idea tat i give 'cold' fruits or food to baby wor ... so I only give during weekend when baby back to our house. But I cant just giving the same fruit rite later he also feel bored.

cutegal,qarezma,janicelly,zeroflower,

Thanks for the info! Will check Jusco when I'm back!

My daughter loves sandwich. Wholemeal bread with cream cheese is good to start coz of the cheese's creamy texture. My daughter also loves bread with avocado. And since she turned one, I also give her bread with tuna (in water).

oh ya .. another Q to ask ... i am thinking of giving bread and cheese to my bb

wondering which kind is suitable for starters?

- bread - wholemeal? normal gardenia type?

- cheese - cheddar or cottage? which brand would you recommend?

thks

ah...my girl loves bread too.but i always give her roti kosong.maybe i shud start putting in some stuffs like tuna n cheese.thanks for the idea mummies!

uniquesoul, why don't you just mash the banana just before feeding your baby? If she can't finish the entire banana, you can have the rest - I think it's better than keeping in the fridge.

Is there any commercial snacks for bb below 1 years (My bb is 9 months now)? Cos what I always find at supermarket, the snacks is for 1 years abd above.

My bb don't like to take cereal for breakfast anymore, I think she is bored already. Perfer something she can hold and chew. So now I am giving her bread. If I don't make my own bread, can I give her gardenia bread daily? She takes about half a slice. I have toast bread with unsalted butter and make french toast with egg yolk for her. What other variety can I make? Put cream cheese (those philadephia cream cheese?) If I decided to make the bread myself, is it easy and with more variety of recipe?

Can I make some muffin or cake for bb now? If can, can store in the freezer as well?

Actually once a while (weekend) can we give bb some bites of those slice cheese? like those put at burger? Now when we go out to eat, bb don't want to eat her food. She wants what we are eating. Most of the time I just give her the bread, kesian her bread again.

Oh yes, those cheese that sold in small cubes for children, can I give my bb those as well. Given her once at my cousin place, and she loved it.

As for chicken, try giving her few times (minced), cooked with porridge, she don't like them. Not sure is it still too hard for her to chew. Mind sharing, what other methods you all have tried for the chicken recipe.

Sorry for being blur blur, when we go out, what food I can order so that bb can have some portion as well. is it mashed potato, french fries, soup noudle, bread, and what else? My bb like homecook pasta, so when I go out, is there any pasta I can order? What ingredient to look for?

Sorry for having so many questions. Because I found that my bb is getting bored with her food already.

Re finger food/snacks: What about those Gerber or Healthy Time puffs as well as rice cakes? You can also give her fresh soft fruits as a snack.

Re breakfast ideas: You can give French toast, scrambled eggs, pancakes, muffins, yogurt & cereal (like muesli), milk with some biscuits, etc. :)

Re cheese cubes/cheese slices: I'm not familiar with those cheese cubes but please read the ingredients for sodium content. Most of the time, cheese slices like Kraft Singles are considered processed cheese and high in salt as well as flavouring. I usually avoid those as well as things like Laughing Cow because giving them encourages Eva to prefer highly salted and flavoured foods which are unhealthy. Babies like them because well, they are highly flavoured but then again, not everything they like is good for them. :p

Re muffin and pancakes: Yes, you can make those for your baby since she can take egg yolks. Store them in an airtight container in the freezer and when you want to give them to baby, just rebaked (covered to avoid burning) or microwave for a minute (in a container to avoid drying out).

Re chicken: I give shredded chicken as a snack food but in small pieces.

Re outside food: I still wouldn't suggest things like mashed potatos and french fries - those available commercially are made from mostly filler ingredients like flour and contain high amounts of salt and flavouring. When I go out with Eva, I usually get rice, some veg as well as chicken - those are usually quite safe. If we go for sushi, she usually takes endamame (her favourite), some grilled fish and sushi rice. For pasta, I would go for those with olive oil instead of cream (salty) or tomato (acidic and more suitable for older babies).

I have a questioned regarding the salted food for babies.

How long should we avoid our babies/kids from eating salted/flavoured stuff?

Why is any level of salted food is considered bad? Aren't we adults taking it? It is usually not that heavily salted, otherwise the eater will not enjoy it at all. Practically, as they grow older, even when giving them home cooked food, we'd be putting in some salt or flavouring... so would it still be considered unhealthy?

For babies below 12 mo, we should minimise giving them salty food. My paed told me that for babies between 1 yo to 3 yo, maximum salt intake is 2grammes a day, which is not a lot coz food like bread and cheese contain salt. Too much salt can cause kidney failure.

Anyway, try not to give salt to our little ones...otherwise they may crave for salty food in the future.

Quiana, just to add, on chicken, my daughter (close to 14mo now) prefers shredded chicken to minced chicken. I try not to give restaurant food to my daughter as they can have high salt content. I usually bring my daughter's home made food to feed her at the restaurant instead. But when I was travelling, I had no choice, so I will give her white rice with veg, steamed fish (i take out the meat least affected by sauce first), taufoo (again, take the middle part least affected by sauce), we can do the same with chicken - make sure not fried, and sandwich - with avocado and cream cheese, told them to prepare without salt and pepper.

For babies below 12 mo, we should minimise giving them salty food. My paed told me that for babies between 1 yo to 3 yo, maximum salt intake is 2grammes a day, which is not a lot coz food like bread and cheese contain salt. Too much salt can cause kidney failure.

Anyway, try not to give salt to our little ones...otherwise they may crave for salty food in the future.

Quiana, just to add, on chicken, my daughter (close to 14mo now) prefers shredded chicken to minced chicken. I try not to give restaurant food to my daughter as they can have high salt content. I usually bring my daughter's home made food to feed her at the restaurant instead. But when I was travelling, I had no choice, so I will give her white rice with veg, steamed fish (i take out the meat least affected by sauce first), taufoo (again, take the middle part least affected by sauce), we can do the same with chicken - make sure not fried, and sandwich - with avocado and cream cheese, told them to prepare without salt and pepper.

gottaa agree on the kidney effect. But i am not sure how much can we mould their future cravings with these practices :) they will eat what they want...

Q, if we are persistent we can go a long way :) For e.g. my nephew who is now 26 mo, still eat food with no added salt. His mom is very strict. Only occasionally when he eats out with us, he gets to eat the salty porridge, etc. On those occasions, he will lap up the porridge. But he knows that at home, he only gets to eat what is cooked for him.

In contrast, I have a colleague with a daughter the same age. My colleague has bought McD for her daughter a few times. I find that is so unhealthy.

Q, if we are persistent we can go a long way :) For e.g. my nephew who is now 26 mo, still eat food with no added salt. His mom is very strict. Only occasionally when he eats out with us, he gets to eat the salty porridge, etc. On those occasions, he will lap up the porridge. But he knows that at home, he only gets to eat what is cooked for him.

In contrast, I have a colleague with a daughter the same age. My colleague has bought McD for her daughter a few times. I find that is so unhealthy.

fast food is something that i dont plan to intro to my kid for a while. Just that home cookings and all are generally cooked with least amount of salt, imo should be ok for the kid maybe after 2 yo

Sorry, what is "imo"? When our little ones are older and can eat the food we eat, what we can do is set aside their portion of the food before adding salt. I still feel it is best not to give so much salted food till they are at least 3 :)

Help! I have ran out of ideas for Chloe! Can I give her bread now? I eat multigrain/wholegrain breads. Is it ok to give it to her? Can she have french toast or even scrambled eggs? I haven't intro eggs to her yet. Although she's not showing any signs of being bored with her food but I am feeling bored already lol. Think I need to go get cheese for her as something new to add to her food.

the best way is still bringing out home-cooked food for your little ones. I will bring food i make for Aeden each time i go out, i put it into a food termos. I guess it is not that hard to bring a small termos out no?

and there are restaurants in kl where they don't use MSG in the cookings too... maybe you can dine there instead.