Sign in to follow this  
venees

can i buy a playpen and use as a baby cot?

hi,my due date is on the march 2011,so i guess i still have time to shop around :lol: at first i plan to buy a baby cot but many of my friends advise me not too coz the baby might not sleep in the cot and instead they told me that i should but a playpen that can be use as a baby cot..but i am confused!can this really work?the baby playpen seem very soft and is this good for the baby?need some advise pls!!

hi,my due date is on the march 2011,so i guess i still have time to shop around :lol: at first i plan to buy a baby cot but many of my friends advise me not too coz the baby might not sleep in the cot and instead they told me that i should but a playpen that can be use as a baby cot..but i am confused!can this really work?the baby playpen seem very soft and is this good for the baby?need some advise pls!!

i wish i also had the same advice.. sigh.. i hv a baby cot that i hardly use..

i think they also have baby cots that can be used as playpens? might want to check that out also..i didnt get this type becos i wanted the 'baby basket' that came together with the babycot for travelling use

Whether a baby will sleep in a crib or not depends on whether you train him/her to do so (you have to start from birth). I don't have a playpen but have a cot that can be converted into a toddler bed instead and Eva has always taken her naps in there. Am not too sure if this is what you meant by soft but I read that one should get a firm mattress instead of a soft one to prevent SIDS.

i bought a play pen but still its unopened yet. I know my bb can't sleep on bed as she use to sleep in a sarung. When can i put her to sleep on bed without and trouble? Age 2 or 3?

i bought a play pen but still its unopened yet. I know my bb can't sleep on bed as she use to sleep in a sarung. When can i put her to sleep on bed without and trouble? Age 2 or 3?

how abt night time, also sleep in the sarung?

at least for nite sleeping u can train her to sleep on the best or cot... not sure if still can start to train

yea..night time still in sarung. for myself, when i was a baby i sleep in a sarung day and night too but not sure when i start sleeping on bed or cot

how abt night time, also sleep in the sarung?

at least for nite sleeping u can train her to sleep on the best or cot... not sure if still can start to train

maybe u can start to train her to sleep on the bed at nite at least... some kids can change very fast from sarung to bed.. eg my sister, slept in sarung from NB, but after 1 yo stopped

Yeah..i tot of carry her to the bed once she is asleep in sarung. hopefully it works..hehehe

maybe u can start to train her to sleep on the bed at nite at least... some kids can change very fast from sarung to bed.. eg my sister, slept in sarung from NB, but after 1 yo stopped

Hello, I asked this question to a baby shop staff before.. he explained to me that baby cot and play pen will have different weight capacity.

The bed / sleeping portion of the playpen will have a lower weight capacity so your baby can only sleep inside for short while ( I cant remember how many months)... so its best you enquire on the weight capacity of the sleeping portion of the playpen before buying. The lower portion of playpen will have higher weight capacity but it's for bigger babies to play in and hang out, not sleeping. If u buy play pen for baby to sleep, after few months when baby is heavier and cannot sleep inside playpen, you will end up buying a cot also.

Baby cots have higher weight capacity, thus you are buying something which your baby can use longer. I bought a convertible cot, which can be converted to toddler bed in future. Its much more expensive, but it's sturdy and can last long. My baby sleeps in his cot at night, but for daytime he naps in a playpen in living room.

I agree with meiteoh, whether baby sleeps in her bed or cot depends on how we train the baby. Sometimes in the middle of the night when I am so sleepy and tired, I am tempted to just leave baby sleeping next to me in my big bed, but then I remind myself not to let my baby get used to this, otherwise he will not like to sleep in his cot anymore.

I prefer playpen bcoz my baby dont like to sleep in the baby cot when she was newborn..she cried when i put her down so i bought sarung for her after her fullmoon. Then when she was like 8mths old i bought a playpen for her bcoz i saw her trying to sit on the sarung! I sleep wit her on my bed n put her into the playpen after she fall asleep. She is 15mth n 8.8kg now so since she's so light i think the playpen can use for a long time. Take note to buy a harder base so its more durable. I dont dare to put her to baby cot again bcoz she trying to climb up n she knock on the wood sometimes..maybe its not deep enuff n she's super noti..haha

chrisy,

wow, your baby weighted very light ler. I know some baby already weight 8kg at 8 month old. and when my gal is around 1 years old, she already 10 kg.

I have both, baby cot and playpen but none were use =D hahaha alamak!!

But I'm putting playpen with my mum, as long as she can sit still and play by herself, playpen will be put to use so same to the baby cot at home.

Yes .. some baby cot can be converted to playpen style too, but my baby cot is an old one which more than 20 yrs old =P but still can convert to playpen style.

Usually, babies cry when they are placed in the cot because the open space scares them. Don't forget that babies spent a good nine months in the womb, all cramped up but secure. This was the first thing the midwife told us when she came to inspect our nursery setup. What you can do to minimise this fear is to either swaddle or create a cocoon-like environment. What I did was put up "barriers" around Eva as well as leave stuff that has my scent like an old sarong or T-shirt in the first couple of months (see below pics):

3882290645_2bc019b2c6.jpg

4001074916_9dc0bb45cb.jpg

(She was around 2-3 mths in these pics.)

If you look carefully in the 2nd pic, I used my old sarong and a nappy as her pillow and her quilt as the bottom barrier (she was only occupying half of the crib). These barriers were later removed when she started kicking them around or pushing them aside. :)

where to get good quality baby cot? any 2nd hand cot for sale?

i'm just afraid that my girl wouldn't want to sleep in it, currently i put her in playpen

I got advice from my antenatal instructor its better to co-sleep with the baby for the first 6 months or when you are still exclusively breastfeeding. So my plan to get a cot goes out the window.. hehe.. so now planning to get a single bed for kiddo to sleep in after 6 months coz I plan to breastfeed for 6 months.. the price for single bed and baby cot is same ya.... I'll get a playpen too for afternoon naps and play time..

Has anyone co sleep with the baby? I'm actually alittle worried that I might crush the little fella.. ha..

Has anyone co sleep with the baby? I'm actually alittle worried that I might crush the little fella.. ha..

I do co sleep when i still breastfeed and i have the same fear as you too. but not sure if it is mother instinct, for some reason i can sleep with extra care naturally without "crushing" my gal... hahaha.. but when my gal is not sleeping with me then i'll have all sort of sleeping pattern conquering the whole bed. even hubby complaint about it... :P

I also worried i might crash at her at 1st but im used to it now..she sleeps wit us every early morning but she fell down fr the bed twice so i put a tilam below now.

I usually pretend to sleep wit her on my bed then put her to her playpen when she falls asleep..then after she has her morning milk between 6-8am she will cry if i put her to her own bed so i let her sleep together until noon.

where to get good quality baby cot? any 2nd hand cot for sale?

i'm just afraid that my girl wouldn't want to sleep in it, currently i put her in playpen

try the TWINS shop along the LDP in puchong, same row as IOI.

or the other outlet in BU, near centrepoint and McDs.

you just missed the boat. ikea's previous sales, the RM599 cot was going for RM299.