Sign in to follow this  
jean_jj

HAKKA YAM ABACUS

Not many places have this Hakka yam abacus but recently i found a place that serve a nice authentic hakka yam abacus with reasonable pricing.. the shop is located at 3 two Square PJ (Nearby sea park n sec 14) www.homedelights.com.my

Those who likes this dish can go try it out. Besides, their curry is also thumbs up :)

*siliva dripping* ..... talkin about this FOOD~!!!!!!!!! i love it since young... never had it till now yearssssssss ago.... Must find out the place and go MAKAN~!!!! thanks for sharing the place jean...

huh!? I'm a half Hakka nging, but how come I don't know this type of food? ahhh .. I only know 'lui cha' :P I know is good for our body but I never like it .. yuck :(

Hi beautifulgown,

U'll need to try few more times b4 u can "accept" Lui Cha. At least for me, I'm like that. I used to hate Lui Cha... but my parents said it's good. So somtimes when they saw anywhere sellng it. they will just tah pao home to eat... then they will just ask me to try once or twice.... so slowly from hate till dislike till now accepting it already. And somedays when i dun feel like having too much meat, I'll opt for Lui Char~ hehehe

hi jean,

Maybe my parents are not opt to lui cha, so I never can learn how take lui cha, once in a while FH will take lui cha and I never have the courage to try :ph34r:

Hehe .. I don't think I will have chance to try and from hate -> dislike -> accepting

By the way, what is Hakka Yam Abacus that you mentioned here? How does it looks like? How does it taste?

Hi BG,

That Hakka Yam Abacus is 算盘子. Is actually made from yam. Taste a bit like glutinous rice ball but with a heavier yam taste. And normally it's cooked together with "mok yi", "dao kon, dried tofu" minced pork n mushroom. U can refer to te below link for the pix of a typical 算盘子.

http://www.got1mag.com/blogs/kimcherng.php.../arcarpcr_c_cas

As for how to make it... errr me normally the kitchen helper when my mom is doing it. But she always mentioned that u need a good Yam to make a good plate of 算盘子. Or else the whole dish would spoilt. Nowadays for a more simpler version, the SS2 morning market got sell those pre-made 算盘子. All u need to do is to boil them n fry it with the ingredients above :)

That's my favourite btw. I just love YAM!! :P

hi jean,

I never see hakka yam abacus before .. hahaha .. I'm so sakai la :P

It must be delicious, I love yam too.

I will try to search around in Kuching and must try, it looks yummy.

Talking about Hakka food, my aunt makes a pretty good lui cha (Thunder Tea Rice). It's very tedious leh, she spends the whole day chopping up the different ingredients and making the "tea" broth... The version I've always had is vegetarian one. Is it normally vegetarian? Yumm... I miss it so much, esp the "sei lim dau" - crunchy!

Some info on lui cha / lei cha here.

CL,

The recipe looks complicated especially need to have so many ingredients to prepare, I'm sure FH doesn't have the patience for that. :( I better find a restaurant which sell this dish, cannot depend on FH to cook for me.

Thanks for sharing, I will still keep the recipe :)

BG,

It's not too bad lah :P In my case, I usually team up with my hb and ask him to help prepare easy stuff. I leave him instructions on how to chop certain items, boil water, measure ingredients, etc. He's basically my sous-chef :P When I get home, all I have to do is toss everything together and cook :D TEAMWORK, baby!

CL,

I admire you, your HB will help you in the kitchen whereby mine? not he doesn't want to help me is he doesn't want me to be there. :( so how can I help him? there is not teamwork in his dictionary, it was like Kicthen is his world!! ahhh .. terbalik right? Kitchen suppose belongs to woman but in his house, it is belongs to him and not me or both :(

hi,

yes, good yam is a must. we always made this abacus with the good yam planted by my mum... fried with a lot of garlic and mince pork!!! wow! delicious!!!

I used to dislike LUI CHA too... then i tried the one my friend's mum made, I like the rice and vege, but not the soup, but after a few try I start to like it better and now I found one in Puchong Kinrara.. and I am hooked...haha

huh!? I'm a half Hakka nging, but how come I don't know this type of food? ahhh .. I only know 'lui cha' :P I know is good for our body but I never like it .. yuck :(

I used to dislike LUI CHA too... then i tried the one my friend's mum made, I like the rice and vege, but not the soup, but after a few try I start to like it better and now I found one in Puchong Kinrara.. and I am hooked...haha

I just joined this forum, notice your message, if you like Lui Cha, maybe i can introduce you to http://www.greenlife.com.my.

The yam abacus is really nice.. Love it! Anyway last time my mom used to make it from scratch, you can now easily get it from pasar malam or pasar pagi. She used to chop the yams in little cubes then steam them after that mash them up and mix with flour.add water till it becomes a dough then make the abacus lor. After that fry with mince chicken, 'mok yi' or u can try mushrooms too and add spring onion! Very very yummy!!!